Sunday, April 24, 2011

Hauling Sunday XL

Happy Easter everyone!!

Who here celebrates? For me, Easter is a nice 4-days long week-end and I'm sure going to take it LOL. Sorry I've been MIA last week. That presentation really took a lot of my time and even after I was done, I was beat ^_^; Notice that it's when we or actually I have a plan/schedule for blogging during the week that things happen and my plans go awry. Ah well. Should stop me from planning, right? LOL.

All right, let see. The presentation went okay. I got cut, because I was over-time; we were on a very strict timeline, especially since we were already 40 minutes late because of the fire alarm and ensuing evacuation ^_^; The presentation was supposed to be only 7 minutes, but even reading very, very, very fast, I was at 8 minutes. So getting cut was unavoidable... not that I really cared. I think what mattered is that we got our results out there, people in the department got to know what we were working on... and in any case, my presentation was almost identical to my co-worker's. Actually, our work is the same, just different context. And he won a prize :) So that was all good for the lab! (I was not in the running, because I'm a research assistant, not a student or resident, but then not being able to finish my presentation, I doubted I could have won anyway...) Otherwise, it was a nice day and the dinner was great :)

Now, onto books right? Well I was lucky to score some books quite early this time around... and the books are:


Dark Descendant by Jenna Black - This book caught my attention with its cover and the blurb. Love, love the cover and the story is about children of gods, a bit a la Riordan, but for grown-up :) Plus, I've been wanting to try Ms Black's writing, but her other series didn't seem to suit me.

Tangled Threads by Jennifer Estep - A given, no question asked :)

Master of None by Sonya Bateman - This book has been on my radar since it was released last year. It's the cover, I really love the wolf on it :) I just wasn't sure on the story... The second book has been released and well, reviews have been favorable. Plus, both Dark Descendant and Tangled Threads were Simon & Schuster Urban Fantasy novel... so I thought another wouldn't hurt if it's in the same vain. Yes, that's my logic LOL.

So yes, instead of memorizing my presentation, all I wanted to do was read... which is what I did LOL. Dark Descendant and Tangled Threads were both quick reads and enjoyable books and reviews to come :P However, now that my presentation is done and I have time to read - 4-days long week-end!! - I'm kind of hitting a wall and I'm not feeling the books I'm picking up. Sigh. You know, stress is not good, but post-stress seems worst! The good thing though is that there's still a week to April :)

By the way, I have a little ERRATUM for last week... Chasing Fire was not the only book I've bought. Indeed, I forgot that I picked up at the UBS:


The Texan's Reward by Jodi Thomas - Seems like reading the Texas trilogy by Lorraine Heath has put me in the mood of western... Who would have thought LOL. I've had Texan's Wager by Jodi Thomas in my TBR pile for a couple of years and decided to give it a go. One of the interesting character in that book for me was Lacy, which gets her story in Texan's Luck... but only found The Texan's Reward.

So yeah, that's my week. Book-buying-wise, it was great, because I really scored some of the books early... but hey, I can always hope for an even better one, right? :) What about you?