Monday, December 07, 2009

PO and misc

Ugh, I'm pissed at my parents. Happens rarely, but I guess it does happen from time to time. Grrr.

Okay, so here's the situation... My parents have some friends with a son (aka The Son). TheSon is married (thanks god), but he has a best friend, so The Son is playing matchmaker... and yep, my name was in the hat. My mom and her friend told me about the matchmaking a few months ago, must have been like back in May (before I went to Kristie's)... and I'm okay with it. I mean, I'm not offended by it and I'm not against it. I'd like to meet someone for sure and if it means I don't have to go clubbing or accosted some stranger, great.

The only awkward thing though is that I'm not close to The Son, I barely know him... let alone his wife. So it's a bit awkward to meet them and have him play the matchmaker... but whatever.

All this was back in May/summer. The Son has also just moved close to my house, so there were talks about a housewarming party in early fall where I'd be invited... but it never happened. So I thought the deal was off. Seriously, it's been months... but I was wrong.

So I just got a phone call about 30 minutes ago. The Son is inviting me to go eat with him and his wife. Note here, no mention about the best friend... Oh and the invitation is for this Wednesday evening. Problem - I already have plans. I'm going to do some shopping with some girlfriends. These are my very close friends, but for some reasons, we haven't done anything together since early September and even then, it was only dinner. Also, one of my girlfriends is a workaholic - she's an accountant by day and at night, she helps out at her family restaurant. She works 70hours/week. Since my birthday, back in May, I can count on my hand the number of times I've seen her: 2. At the BBQ and a birthday after-dinner... and both times, she had to leave early. So yeah, I have plans to go shopping this Wednesday with my friend... so I declined The Son's invitation... He said it was okay and he'd get back to me with another date.

Now though, my parents are all grumpy about it. Especially my dad. He told me I should have canceled on my friends. That I should know what is important and should set my priorities straight...

Okay, a minute here. ARE YOU SERIOUS?!? Going out to dinner with The Son and his wife is a priority?!? In whose life? Okay, although he didn't say his best friend would be there, most probably though he will... Cos otherwise, why would The Son invited me out for dinner with his wife. But hello?!? I guess my dad's really afraid I'll end up an old maid... but still. So mad. What rubbed me the wrong way was his face (all disapproval) and his tone.

Anyway, I unhooked the vacuum cleaner (we have central and the vacuum has been hooked for like a month now) and closed my door. I know, it's quite juvenile, but at least, I didn't slam the door... also, I rarely close my door, so I hope they'll get it. Grrrr.

***

In other news, I'm watching curling this week. It's the Roar to the Rings, the curling qualification event for the Olympics :) It's going to last all week! I'm in heaven LOL... well not totally, because my favorite are 0-2 so far... another loss and it could be over for them :( However, they are very good under pressure... so I'm crossing my fingers.

I've actually been toying with the idea of starting a blog for the Olympics with my sister... but I'm not sure.

Oh, by the way, the Olympic flame is going to be in my town tomorrow... but I'll be at work :(

***

I've finally cleaned up my room some :) Giving away about 150 books did free my shelves a lot. Plus the little corner shelves. I've been playing around a little... Hopefully, I'll have time this week-end to sort through them :)

The running joke in my family is that since it's so rare that I clean my room, every time, it's like a miracle... and the sky acknowledges it by having some kind of storm - rain, thunder or snow... Well this time is no exception. We're getting 20-30cm of snow on Wednesday T_T

Cindy, I think you're going to get your white Christmas.