Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Happy dance :D

FREEDOM!!!!

LOL :P Sorry I haven't been around too much... thing is, I had a presentation this morning... and I hate presentations!!! I had to summarize a scientific article and of course, my boss had to choose a REVIEW article... you know, the kind of article that takes all the other articles in the field and summarize them? Ugh. There was a ton of information in the article, but nothing in details. So I was half-scared that I wouldn't be able to answer the questions... and trust me, the people in my department? They are very scary when they ask questions. Very brusque and direct... and sometimes, they sound very rude. So I'm very intimidated :(

I've been working on my presentation since last week. Read the article, made a few slides. My boss said he wanted to see it on Friday. We go over the slides and he's like: I don't think you have a good grasp on the material. You should also read these two other articles. Anyway, I think you have a lot of work for the week-end. Oh, and you're not making use of the figures. They have nice figures in this article... but you have to understand them well, so you can explain them... and you have too much writing in the slides.

Ugh. Seriously. Talk about depressing comments!! I was working the whole day Saturday at the receptionist job (8.30am to 9pm) and my goal was to read the articles and work on the slides show the whole day. Guess what? Didn't work out that way. I somehow ended up with diarrhea and the stomach ache from hell... the WHOLE FREAKING DAY. So I had to play catched up on Sunday.

Finally finished the whole presentation on Monday. I do agree, it looked better. I changed some stuff around and the flow was good. I also added an introduction which I didn't really have before. Then, I had to practice right? Cos I have word like tumoriginicity, pathogenesis, cytogenetic, carcinogenesis to say. And the boss wanted me to do a rehearsal in front of him and my co-worker. So I put it off as long as I could, but finally did it yesterday afternoon. It went much better than I thought - as in, the boss didn't tell me it was crap! :P Also, I only had a few minor changes to do. Still, it wasn't fluid enough, so I still had to practice... but seriously, my presentation was about 35 minutes long. That means in an hour, I can only practice twice. Sigh... and I was still scared of the questions they were going to ask.

Well now, it's done and I'm free!! I have an extra-long week-end coming up (I get both Friday and Monday for Easter)! Yay! Lots of reading, lots of blogging and re-shelving my books. That's the plan.

The only dark note for the week-end is that my mom's cousin passed away yesterday T_T He was a very charismatic man and it's all very sad :( I thought I'd be going to Boston for his funerals, but it's not going to work out. My sister has classes tomorrow till 6pm. I don't want to drive at night and the funerals are at 9am on Friday... :(

Anyway, I promise I'll have my review of the Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turnerup later this week and perhaps a few more surprise :) For those who are curious, I'm also reading Rewriting Monday by Jodi Thomas at the moment :P