Thursday, October 23, 2008

Catching up on books...

This month is definitively shaping up to be a good reading month. Seriously, I can't wait till the end of the month to see how many books I've read, LOL :P I got my hands on most of the books I wanted - the ones that I haven't, well it's because they haven't been released yet... Next week though, so soon enough.

Speaking of books, I'm having a great week regarding acquiring books, LOL :) Let see, I ordered some books online on Monday and all the books are already on their way. I should receive the bulk of it (Blood Lite - anthology, Clockwork Heart by Dru Pagliassotti and Trouble with Paradise by Jill Shalvis) next Monday; however, I'm hoping to get Salvation in Death by J.D. Robb today. Hoping being the important word in that sentence :P However, it says today's date for the ETA. I'll keep my fingers crossed.



Another reason to keep my fingers crossed is the fact that Chapters/Indigo online indicator says that some of the bookstore in downtown have received their shipment of books from Harlequin... I love HQ!!! Seriously!! It's probably the only publishing house whose books arrive early and show up on shelves before the street release date :) Wish me luck, I'm trying to get Bad Penny by Sharon Sala and A Virgin River Christmas by Robyn Carr. Those being the goal of today's hunt.


I also got Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong yesterday. Thanks to my sister who had a midterm exam on Monday though, I've already read half of it at the bookstore so I was able to finish it later yesterday night. Still, I'll probably be reading it again because I was skimming quickly and I probably missed some important details. My first impression however is that the book is a bit confusing - there are A LOT of narrators ^_^; The whole book was a wild chase and really not what I expected... however, Ms Armstrong really put it together at the end with the last quarter of the book. She definitively saved it... In the end, not the best, but not the worst book in the series... I have to say though, I'm hoping we're taking a tiny break from Hope in the next book. She's a cool character, but all her angst and issues - sigh - make my head turns.

Finally, yesterday and today, McGill is holding its annual bookfair. I went yesterday and had it all planned out. My car was parked near the building, so if I had to carry a box like last year, it'd be a short distance. I showed up at 8.50am with my Indigo bag so I could put all the books I was gonig to buy. I had enough cash and even slipped a check, just in case (they don't take debit or credit card). Even left my sweater in the car, because from my past experience, it gets really hot inside - so many ppl and everyone looking for books so frantically. So yeah, I was definitively ready and prepared... However, this year was a disappointment. Oh, I got some books and for a good price too. I mean, 16 books for 24.50$?!?!? Can only find it at the bookfair and that includes 2 hardcovers. Talk about cheap... Thing is, none of the books made me jump in excitment. None of the books made me yell SCORE!! I also think there were a lot less romance than in past few years... Either there are more and more romance readers converting to e-books or people just didn't want to part with their books. Also, if I see one more Sophie Kinsella - I would have screamed!!! UGH!!! Anyway, there were a lot of "male" books imo. By "male" books, I mean mystery and fiction books by male authors... Those are more popular with male readership and a lot of them were hardcovers... but then, I guess it makes sense right? Men don't tend to be as rat-packers than women. Hopefully, it'll be better next year.