Monday, November 12, 2007

How do you balance your reading?

So I've been meaning to ask all of you this question, How do you balance your reading? I've started several posts on it, but each time, I ended up deleting it...

But before jumping in, I'd like to ask you how was your week-end? Mine was pretty relaxing as usual. Stayed home and read :D However, the reading wasn't great :( I read If Angels Burn and Dark Need from the Darkyn series by Lynn Viehl. This is another vampires series, a bit complicated to put into few words. Basically, these vampires were Templar Knights (?) that came back from their last Crusade with an affliction. Even if it's been 700+ years, they are quite set in the medieval's ways, i.e. they have a King (High Lord) and queen, kind of... and some Darkyns are given jardins (territories) to govern over and stuff like that... and they are fighting the Brethens (kind of religious league). Anyway, I gave a try to this series because I know that many really enjoy it, especially Rosie... However, I don't think that I'm going to be reading anymore of this series. It just didn't do it for me... I wasn't hooked at the end of the first book. I didn't like all the medieval court elements in the story, I didn't like the heroine... I didn't even know what Darkyns really are... their goals, their special abilities, etc. I read Dark Need because I already had it in my TBR pile and I'm actually glad I didn't buy more of the books.

I also started an Elizabeth Lowell, can't remember the title right now... It was a secret baby plot which I ended up skimming through. I'll try to go back and re-read it... Finally, I started Catch A Mate by Gena Showalter. I know Ames thought I've read it, but no... it's been sitting in my TBR pile for awhile... I think it was Chantal that recommended it to me... and I know Kris enjoyed it a lot. So far, it's okay. I like the idea and the dialogue... but the characters are annoying me just a little. They're really stubborn and their world entirely too black or white. To Jillian, all men are pigs interested in sex. I can understand how she came to this conclusion given her past experiences. My problem is she seems to think that women are perfect. Then enters Marcus who thinks the exact opposite, women would do anything for sex and men are the victims. I'm sorry, but seriously, nowadays, both sides cheat.. however, there are ppl that do not. Anyway, I'm half way through the book, still not finished... so let see how this book gets.


Okay, now back to the initial topic... How do you balance your reading?

See, lately, I've come to realize something about my reading... Ever since I've started blogging and keeping a book journal, I've been pushing myself very hard to read a lot of books... If i don't read this number of books, this is not a good week or a good month... Yeah, I'm very competitive by nature. The problem though is that it's taking away a bit of my enjoyment. I mean, I still love to read books and so on, but yeah, I could do without the pressure. Also, in my quest of reading as much books as possible, I haven't had much time for re-reads... which sucks. I mean, I have all those great books on my shelve for a reason right? So I could re-read them... Actually, I have been re-reading some of the books, but always the same. The last couple of months, I've been re-reading Demon Angel and Warprize a lot to get me out of slump ^^; Then, there's also my manga... it's been awhile since I've last re-read some series... but where am I going to find time to re-read them if I'm reading new books? Ugh. so yeah, that's my dilemma and I'm wondering how you guys are doing? Better than me?

Oh and last thing, I seriously should stop book binging... It's great to have lots of books, but I'm always bored of them after a couple of weeks. I mean, I look at my TBR pile and they just don't appeal to me anymore. Instead, I want to go buy new books or books I don't have... I guess they're more appealing when they are at the bookstore or UBS than in my TBR pile. Sigh.