Sunday, September 10, 2006

Review: The Protector by Gennita Low

Where do I start with this book? Oh yeah... I'll start by saying this: I read books for pleasure, for enjoyment... that's probably why I never enjoyed the books we were assigned in school. I read fiction, because I think it's light and fun, because they are stories. I particularly like romance, because what's better than seeing two persons fall in love and get together? I don't care what other ppl think of romance, I don't care that some of my friends laugh at my choices of reading... I read to have fun and that's it. I have enough work, stress and other stuff to worry about. I don't want to read anything too deep, to heavy... I don't even like reading classics (even if they are romance)... I find them too much for me... too serious. So you'll never catch me reading books about philosophy, sciences, religion or even biography... Do you think less of me? Well I hope not, but if you do, that's your problem, not mine... and your loss too.

So why start by saying this? Because it's explain why I didn't enjoy The Protector.

The Protector by Gennita Low: 2/5

Here's the blurb of the book:
When the best of intentions gets Jazz arrested overseas, he couldn’t be more surprised to find Vivi Verreau ready to spring him out of jail. Obviously more than the civilian she claims to be, he’s sure Vivi is hiding an agenda... and he’s determined to stick by her side until he uncovers all her secrets.

A covert agent who shrouds herself in disguises, and who fearlessly jumps into dangerous situations without thoughts for her own safety, Vivi has no need for a protector. But if she is to have any hope of completing her most important mission, she’ll have no choice but to recruit Jazz and his men.
Huh? That blurb is complete BS and it really doesn't give a clue of what's going to happen in the book. I had so much trouble getting into the book and so much trouble with the book... I'm going to try to be coherent, but I'm not even sure I completely understood the book. So Jazz, real name Zola Zelingue, is overseas... somewhere in Asia, if I got that right - I'm not even sure... He's a SEAL and is enjoying some time in a bar after a mission. He sees a woman being harrassed by two other soldiers and come to her rescue... Jazz is not your hard heart man... he's mellow. So he gives the girl some $$, hoping that she won't have to prostitute herself for a couple of day and for some reasons, they end up in a room... and Jazz gets arrested by Interpol (?!?) because they think Jazz is buying the girl for sex...

Vivi Verreau is from GEM (unknown acronym), acting as the liaison between Interpol and an organization, I think it's something like the Third World, who's goal is to stop American military to buy the favors of young girls that are forced into prostitution by their family because of their poverty. That organization is trying to get funds from the UN, so every soldier that pay a woman counts. Anyway, Vivi is trying to "save" the girls from their faith, altho she knows she can't do much. So Vivi ends up helping Jazz out, because she needs him and his team for some mission: arresting an internation pimp and extracting the girls the pimp intend to sell.

Okay... as I say, I read for my enjoyment. I usually have no problem when my books contain murders and crimes. I actually like when the goal of the characters is to catch some very very bad guy... you know, the characters achieve something and at the end, they're all happy because they've done something good and readers are also happy, because well the story ends well... you know that what was the problem is over... but poverty and prostitution in a third world country?!?! How in the world do you end that? I mean, at the end of the book, poverty and prostitution still going to happen... I guess the author want to sensibilize her readers to real issues: prostitution, poverty and we're not talking about industrialized countries poverty... we're talking about a poverty where the ppl are doomed and probably won't ever be able to get out of... and also, military abusing their powers and status overseas... Very serious issues... that I don't want to know about. Maybe I'm heartless, but after reading a book like The Protector, I feel as powerless as Vivi and I feel guilty because I'm living a good life. Yes, I'm aware of those problems, but it is NOT my cause.. I'm sad when I hear about it, shake my head and wish someone could do something... I'll probably donate money for the causes, but will I actively get involved... no. Am I a bad person? Dunno.

So yeah, didn't get my "high", great feeling after reading this book. As for the love story, because after all, this is a romantic suspense book... I didn't see the chemistry between Jazz and Vivi... at all. I actually thought Vivi was quite annoying. I'm not sure I enjoy the GEM agency either. I have no problem with women in the army or any agency, but hey, you're still women. don't start acting like guys please.

So this is a book I'll definitively be passing on... Now, my dilemma is that I still have 2 other books by this author. Do I skip completely or give her another opportunity?